Kitchen remodeling is quite expensive so people understandably look for ways to save a bit of money where they can. If your cabinets are in good condition, then many people look to painting them as a way to cut costs. Painting may look easy on the DIY shows and YouTube tip videos, but is it really worth it?
The Downside to Painting Your Kitchen
- Painting takes time. The biggest downside to painting your cabinets is the amount of time it takes to go through the process. You can’t simply brush or spray on a layer of paint…there are many steps involved:
- You have to remove all the doors, drawer fronts and hardware and many times have to remove stuff from your cabinets.
- Everything has to be sanded or deglossed and washed.
- You have to tape off the walls, countertops, appliances, etc to ensure you don’t get paint on them.
- You typically have to apply 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint to get the coverage you need.
- You have to install all the doors, drawer front, and hardware depending on the size of your kitchen it will take at least 2-3 days of countless hours to get the project done right.
- Painting is messy. All the prep work necessary for painting can cause a lot of mess. Additionally, if you aren’t a very good painter then you may have to deal with cleaning and scraping paint drips on your floors, counters, and walls.
- Painting isn’t as durable. New cabinets that purchased with a painted finish have the paint baked on for a lasting durability. Often when people paint their cabinets it starts chipping off in a matter of months or years.
- Painting them yourself may not look good. You must be somewhat detail orientated and have a steady hand when painting your cabinets. Some people get impatient and want to rush through the job, which leaves drips and uneven streaks in the paint.
Why Refacing Your Kitchen Cabinets is Better
- A much quicker process. An entire cabinet refacing project takes about 5 days, depending on the size of your kitchen.
- Less time and stress for you. During the refacing process we will remove all the doors and drawer front for you. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about removing things from inside your cabinets.
- Less clean up. As part of what we do, we make sure that all the outsides of your cabinets and countertops are cleaned ready for you to use your kitchen again.
If you are looking to upgrade the look of your kitchen, don’t waste your time painting them! Let us help by giving your kitchen a fresh new look with cabinet refacing. Contact us to schedule your free estimate today!